- Lyric Opera becomes the first opera house to provide the SoundShirt, which allows Deaf or hard of hearing audience members to feel music.
- Architects design the Azabudai Hills development in Tokyo to bring more nature and green space to the city.
- Researchers create a puzzle box to study the problem-solving skills of striated caracaras falcons to estimate their ability to adapt to new challenges in their environment.
- Sound Shirt
- Green Space
This Week's Kahoot Quiz
Each week we'll be bringing you a free quiz that you can use with your students after they've enjoyed the episode.
Spark a discussion
New Kind of Shirt
- What is the name of the new kind of shirt that helps those who are Deaf or hard of hearing feel music?
- What do users feel when they are wearing the shirt?
- Can you think of other places or events where the shirt could potentially enhance the experience of people who are Deaf or have hearing difficulties?
Creating Green Space
- Can you name the development in Tokyo that is designed to bring more green space to the city?
- How did the architects begin to design the development and test their plans?
- In what other ways could we potentially increase public green spaces in cities?
- What type of falcon was involved in the study?
- How many different challenges did the falcons have to solve as part of the study?
- What do researchers hope they can estimate from the study, and why is it important?
Use these resources to get the most out of the news update and engage your class in topical science!